Congratulations! You’ve decided to get a new puppy or a kitten from a breeder, and you’re going to be a pet-parent. You’re in for years of cuteness and friendship, and you can’t wait to bring your buddy home and get started. There’s only one problem – your new baby lives in another state, and you don’t have any idea how to transport them safely to your home. Where do you even start?
First, Keep Your New Friend’s Age in Mind.
No kitten should be separated from its mother until it is at least 12-14 weeks old. That will help it avoid any developmental problems. Puppies should not leave their mothers until they are at least 8 weeks old, though you may find that some breeders require you to wait until they are 12 weeks old. Whatever the situation, please be sure your animal baby is old enough to leave its mom. Any sooner than this is considered animal cruelty, so Blue Collar Pet Transport recommends that you find a different breeder if they don’t follow these guidelines.
Make Sure Your Puppy or Kitten Gets a Clean Bill of Health before It Travels.
Your breeder should be able to show you that the puppy or kitten has been checked out by a veterinarian and that it has been pronounced healthy. Both kittens and puppies receive their first vaccinations between ages 6-8 weeks, so if yours will be older when you bring it home, it’s a good idea to make sure it receives its first vaccinations beforehand.
Consider Your Transport Options Carefully.
Whether you fly your kitten or puppy to you or bring them home via ground transport, you have some pros and cons to weigh:
- Air Transport:
- This is generally faster, especially for long distances. A kitten or puppy that is not yet accustomed to the world of humans will probably appreciate a faster trip.
- This can be more comfortable than ground transport, as Blue Collar Pet Transport has both private chartered jets as well as flight nannies who ride along with your little friend and take care of them every step of the journey.
- Flying does, however, come with its potential drawbacks, including very unfamiliar sounds and people that could stress out your new family member.
- A plane ride is, of course, less economical than ground travel, which could be a concern if you are on a budget.
- Ground Transport:
- If your puppy or kitten will be coming from a relatively short distance away, this could be just as fast as a plane flight.
- While not as luxurious as plane travel, it is still comfortable. Blue Collar Pet Transport never sacrifices comfort when offering its clients more affordable options.
- You have just as much flexibility as you do with plane travel, as Blue Collar Pet Transport has three possibilities for ground transport:
- Shared Ride Pet Transport: Your friend can ride along with other pets as they come home to you.
- Private Pet Transport: You can pick the date your fur baby is picked up and dropped off, and it’s a straight shot to your door.
- Central Florida Pet Transport: Your new puppy or kitten can be taken anywhere in Central Florida.
Make Their Carrier As Comfortable As Possible.
Once you decide on how your furry pal will be transported to you, that just leaves the question of what it will be carried in. While your breeder will ultimately be responsible for this, of course, it is still wise to ask questions. What will the carrier be made out of? It’s recommended that it not be made of soft material so that your little friend will be better protected. The carrier should also be big enough for your kitten or puppy to be able to turn around and stand up. What will its bedding be? Will there be any toys? Most likely your friend will sleep for a large portion of the trip, but just in case it gets a little bored, you’ll want them to have a toy. Just make sure it’s not a choking hazard.
Get Ready for Years of Love and Fun.
Blue Collar Pet Transport is happy for you and your new puppy or kitten. Bringing them home is a day to be savored. While it may be hard to have so much distance between the two of you, with a little bit of planning, that trip will go quickly and safely, and you’ll have your new buddy by your side, ready to make wonderful memories with you.